Monday, April 25, 2011

UPDATE: Waterproof mats from plastic shopping bags: lessons learned.

Special thanks to T.W. Starr and WAAY31 for featuring Denise's work and commitment on a WAAY31 First News "Did You Know?"



After Denise taught me how to make crcochet mats from plastic shopping bags, I got right to work on my own mat.  Note that I am *NOT* a crafty person.  This is super easy and a great past-time for people like me who have a hard time "unwinding".

The majority of my first mat was completed during Spring Break, using bags we collected as we traveled.  The car is a great place to crochet!  When I returned home and showed Denise, I learned that I was stitching much too tightly and have since loosened the stitches...and saved the nerve endings in my fingers.

I got excited and tried any kind of plastic bag I could get my hands on.....Justice, Bloom Dancewear, Ulta.  These large, thick bags are great...but adjust strip width to about .25".  Cut single strips and tie together, instead of looping the plastic rings to make 2-ply yarn.  



My original three foot wide mat has gradually drawn up and the width is currently down to just over 2".  I've also gotten pretty attached to my first piece of handiwork.  I plan to stop this mat soon and keep for my own and use it as a gardening mat.  With my initial lessons learned, I can't wait to get started on a full sized bed roll!

I will be assisting Denise this Friday at the Goldsmith-Schiffman Elementary GREEN FLING this Friday.  Send us your plastic bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment